Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Tale of 2 Birthdays

Today was a very frustrating day. The Department of Homeland Security has mandated we get new badges. In order to do so, we have to go to the Badging Office and take our drivers license and enroll in the new program. I made my appointment and planned on doing it this morning. First, they had the scheduling system all wrong and had triple-booked appointments. Problem is there is only 1 lady doing the new badging. After sitting there waiting for over 2 hrs (really hard for me because all I could focus on was how much time I was wasting and how much work I had to do), my name was finally called. I was elated! Then when I went in, the lady couldn't find me in the system. Come to find out, 19 people's computer enrollment didn't work properly and I was one of the lucky 19. 19 out of around 3300 employees - what a deal!! Then when trying to figure out what to do, I mentioned that my b-day on my license was wrong.

--EXPLANATION---

When I went to get my DL when I turned 16, I was unable to use my hospital birth certificate because it appeared to have been altered. They said that because the nurse or clerk typing up my birth certificate had started to mistype and corrected it. This is considered altering the birth certificate - just because one stupid person couldn't type right on the typewriter. Therefore, I had to get my birth certificate from the court house. Bad thing is that my birthday is listed wrong on the certified one. It shows my birthday to be July 22 instead of July 23. Sooo that's what they had to put on my license. I've always known what it took to fix it but I've always been too cheap to do anything about it. It takes me sending in an amendment to the state to get it fixed along with a $37 fee and an affidavit from my mom verifying what my b-day should be along with a copy of the hospital birth certificate.

--BACK TO STORY--

I now have to send in the amendment and the money to Austin. It takes 6-8 weeks to process. I then have to get a new DL because I need my DL to have my current name along with the correct birthday and since my birth certificate will only show my maiden name, I need one with my current name. I, of course, can't use the paper copy of the updated DL, I have to wait until the official one comes thru. What a pain!!!

Oh, well. That just means my days of having 2 b-days will be over after the first of the year. It's taken me over 13 yrs but it will finally be correct. I just hate doing it on someone else's timeline rather than my own. It has been my plan to do it before I turned 30. I'm 29 so I was going to be doing it before July anyways. I just wanted to be in control as usual and yet again I'm not.

After moments of frustration, I had to laugh about it. Talk about a mess. Now I have something to laugh about and a story to tell. Seriously - how many people can say they have the wrong b-day on their DL. Probably doesn't happen too often. :)

1 comment:

K-Webb said...

yo woman! my address is on my facebook under 'about me'. it's entirely too long, though. ha. happy day of thanksgiving! eat some turkey for me!